Getting over the hump…


It’s been a long time since the last post on the trestle mostly becuase the majority of the progress has been shaping, sanding, and pre-finishing. Oh, and also becuase a new born makes it a smidge harder to get into the shop. But none the less, the last couple weeks have been fruitful and I’m beginning to feel like I’m turning the corner which is a good thing becuase there are still at least two more projects I want to complete before a show in November.

After my sanding regiment I glued and pegged my loose tennons into the trestle uprights followed by pre-finishing all my components. Next, I assembled each of my end sub-assemblies with draw bored tennons. I found a large pencil sharpener is excellent for tapering the end of the dowels.

Finally, I did the big glue-up yesterday and got my through tennons wedged with some small bits of maple.

I still need to shape, sand, and finish the upper stretchers. Those were a mid-stream design addition but overall the base is nearly complete so I started milling my boards for the top.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Getting over the hump…

  1. Pingback: Trestle Table #3: Getting over the hump…. : LumberJocks RSS feed

    • Hah! Very carefully. Seriously though, I think I masked off around the protruding tenon with blue tape, then removed the bulk of the waste with a hand saw before taking small paring cuts with a chisel, before finish sanding everything flush and smooth.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s